Headlight Adjustment?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DavidJ

I have had my Spitfire Six for about three weeks now and have done just over 250 miles on it. I’m really enjoying it and it has lived up to all my expectations so far.
    Just a thought however. I was coming home for the first time in the dark the other night and felt that the headlamp seemed to be set rather high, on high beam it would be great for UFO spotting! Not wanting to mess with anything until the first service is over and done with I have left things as they are at the moment. Has anybody else had this problem and if so is there a way to adjust the dip and main beam height so it illuminates the road a little more effectively. Any help gratefully received.

David 252

Hello David,
    Have you thought about your rear shock, I asked the guys during the service to look at the suspension setup, you could have too little preload – the rear sags too much. Looking in the handbook, the Six is setup with little loading and rebound both ends compared to the Bobber. Once more preload and rebound we diaper in, the Six handles better – much better. What shock do you have? I’ve now got 1,100 miles and yet to get a proper night ride done, I’ll watch for you reply’s, I might need it too.
    David.

DavidJ

Hi David

Thanks for you reply. I hadn’t thought about the suspension set up. I usually leave any bikes I may have on the factory settings. I have the standard Marzocchi forks with the upgrade Ohlins rear shock fitted on my Six. I am quite a big bloke (nearly 16 stone) so maybe I am overwhelming the rear shock as it is currently set up. I will experiment with the preload and see if it improves things. Not sure I’m going to get to my first service mileage any time soon as the weather is deteriorating and I tend to be a fair weather rider these days but I will get the guys to look at the set up when the time comes.

David

David 252

Hi David,
    When I said my weight to the service guys (14st) he did dial more preload, you may want to do the suspension first as my beam alignment is good now. I have the same front and rear – bloody good stuff. Mine’s not going out if there’s salt around, but I want to know how the tyres do in winter. There’s two compounds, soft and normal, I think we’re on normals. You should have a 40 tooth sprocket on too, gives long gears.
    David.

Hi David
    The tyres are soft by normal bike standards. I rode the original Spitfire on those tyres in a sodden Snowdonia in early February and they were superb, giving total confidence.
    The downside was when I decided to take the “interesting route” through the Llyn Peninsula, the tyres flicked up all of the muck from the middle of the single track lane…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.