Baffles for the exhausts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seagull

Hi all,

New member having just acquired a barely used near pristine Scrambler (no. 248) with around the same number of miles. Having just ridden it home a couple of questions spring to mind. Foremost did the exhausts originally have removable baffles? The reason I ask is that the noise at full throttle is comparable to the straight through TT pipes I have on a vintage Triumph! Entertaining for a short while but swiftly very tiring. I’m hoping the original owner removed them and that I can order some new ones. If that’s not the case has anyone come up with a way of dampening the noise?

Cheers

Chris

martin G10

Hi, I have a six, when I collected my bike, I was told I could remove the baffles if I wanted too, why would I ( exhausts are made for CCM by QD exhausts Italy) production bikes that are type approved, allowed noise level is 87db an msva bike is 99db , track use level limit,
    regards martin

Hi Chris
    Sounds like there has been some user intervention as the original pipes were never so loud.
    There are no DB killers in the Scrambler pipes, however the good news is that you can repack them using proprietary glass wool.

Seagull

So I dismantled the exhausts and the packing is still in place. Seems that the exhausts are simply that loud which in an urban environment is really not ideal. Has anyone tried anything successfully? I note on the forum that quite a few other owners have commented on it. I wondered about replacing the originals with Supertrapp’s. But a less extreme solution maybe finding a way to restrict / disrupt the flow though i.e replicating what DB killers do. Perhaps buying some aftermarket DB killers and welding them in. Or sealing some of the holes with masking tape. Any ideas welcome. Happy to be a guinea pig as otherwise love the bike.

Seagull

Ps. in reply to martin G10 no way on earth at least my Scrambler is even in the vicinity of 87db. As I said not a million miles away from straight through pipes on a 850cc twin and significantly louder than a R9T with Akrapovic aftermarket exhaust.

Seagull

So I added a pair of universal exhaust baffles to the straight through pipes on an old Triumph and the difference was remarkable. It was a simple case of inserting them and in this case drilling a hole and screwing them in at the end of the pipes. However I’m certain there’s a way of inserting something like them into the existing “baffle” on the Scrambler which is long tube with holes. I’d guess they would need need to be tack welding in but feasible if you can find ones which are a good fit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.