Wet weather problems

Great British Handcrafted Motorcycles Forums Maverick Wet weather problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Hi,
    First time caught out in the rain; quite hard at times.
    Couple of issues:
    1. Engine spluttering all throughout the wet weather. Had to keep pumping the throttle to keep the revs up and engine going. It did cut out completely a few times, only for a few seconds maybe but frigging blooming scary when you’re in the middle lane of a busy A10!
    It felt like an old fashioned fuel blockage but that can’t be can it?
    Any help or ideas?
    1. I’ll slather WD40 on all the electrics etc. Hopefully this might help.
    2. The air filter bag was wet. Is this a factor?
    3. Do I need to add mud flaps somewhere?

Another thing: the seat gets wringing wet. Is this OK? Should I use Scotchguard? All advice gratefully recieved as ever.

martin G10

Hi, Tim
    Do Not spray WD40 on electrical contacts, it shorts electrics, the rear tyre sprays water onto the air filter , if it has the cover on the water clogs it , I think the cover also strangles the top end .
    martin

Tim

Thanks very much Martin, I will NOT spray WD40 on the electrics 👍

You’re suggesting it’s best to have the bag off at all times for unrestricted air intake? Is the bag just for aethestics then? I thought it had a practical purpose to stop muck getting in? Maybe not!

martin G10

Hi, Tim
    I once sprayed WD40 into an ignition switch and the battery ran down every three days.
    The cover helps in keeping muck off the filter, I accidentally wet mine with a water spray and the engine cut out (pre 500mls service clean), I also found that the bike ran a little better without the cover,
    regards martin

SteveT

I had a similar problem with the engine faltering in relatively light rain, we need a nice cover that doesn’t restrict airflow (or at least minimal effect) but prevents large amounts of water from soaking the filter.
    Also note that there are holes in the plastic under the saddle, can’t see why I couldn’t block these up not sure they are there for a purpose other than to drain any water which might be getting in via the holes. This matters because although there are limited electrics under the saddle I was going to put a small toolkit under there which as long as I remember to put an Allen key in my pocket I could get to if needed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.