Spitfire engine breather.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nocca

Has anyone had oil all over the frame of the bike towards the rear.on close inspection it could be coming through the engine breather but not entirely sure.the bike is a spitfire six but obviously same engine on all the spitfires.

martin G10

Hi, Nocca
    Oil coming from the engine breather is a known problem , I think the fix was “repositioning of the breather” (pointing it straight up) to allow any oil to settle and run back to the engine .
    The problem is that big single piston moving as much air in the crankcase as the cylinder and not much space for a breather, fits under the fuel tank between the cylinder head and the frame (orange grommet is the tank mount)
    regards martin

Daz450

Hi Nocca, I’ve had a similar issue and it was coming from the breather.

During the first service Ryan, the CCM technician, moved the filter to a more vertical position to ‘encourage’ the oil to drain from the breather back into the engine.

However, as a further improvement, I have added a catch can/breather as shown in the attached pictures.
    Chrome doesn’t really suit the bike but it was the neatest catch can/breather I could find without getting something too big.
    The part is – Kuryakyn Breather Catch Tank – specifically made for Harley’s but, with a bit of modification to the bracket, it seems to fit quite well.

Nocca

Thanks for your input guys.the kuryakyn catch can looks like a good fix so long as it still allows some air flow.my breather is pointing up but is dripping with oil so I can’t imagine any air flow is allowed through it at all.never had a single cylinder bike so dripping oil is alien to me.(CCM say it’s normal but will look at it next service).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.