Removing Fuel Tank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    derek s

Hi

I have to change the speedo on my Spitfire (faulty one supplied CCM sent me replacement free) and have had a go at it myself several times but there seems to be some sort of clip that I cannot work out how to do and therefore going to take it to a real mechanic. I am in France and not as simple as going to Bolton to get them to do it for me:)

Does anybody have a script or YouTube video on how to do this please?

Derek

martin G10

Hi, Derek
    Be very careful , do not scratch the paint .
    CCM instructions and
    photos of my tank,
    helpful for a mechanic.
    martin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SeanB

Hi Martin, thanks for the info and PDF for removing fuel tank. Got a flat battery on my Scrambler so need to get mine off and this is very usef. Got a bit stuck though, removed the overflow pipe and the fuel pump connector but having trouble getting the fuel pipe off. Is there any particular way you need to turn it? And I assume it is the tank end you need to remove? Just checking as there is a pic attached showing the fuel line still attached to the tank. I have actually managed to get the battery out with the tank lifted but it’ll be easier to reinstall with the tank off so I want to persist with it!!
    Thanks, Sean

SeanB

Ok, having read the instructions again, properly, and now pushed the white bit in as instructed, it pops off nicely!!

Markpotter

Not sure what type of battery is fitted on my spitfire, as I know it was changed by the previous owner. Need to charge it but do not want to use the wrong charger. Any ideas how to correctly remove the tank?

martin G10

Hi, Markpotter
    have you not read the post, looked at attached CCM’s pdf or do you disagree with the removal method.
    regards martin

Andy Marsh

The two photos show the fuel pipe still attached to the tank, and disconnect from the fuel injector end.
    The PDF file is to remove the pipe at the fuel tank. I had the ccm mobile mechanic at mine to day servicing my bike.
    He showed me how to disconnect the pipe.
    First disconnect the over flow pipe, then the fuel pump plug, then start the engine and run until it runs out of fuel this lets off the pressure in the pipe.
    The next bit is hard, where the pipe plugs into the fitting you push the outer ring of the fitting in towards the bottom of the tank (it will only move about 2mm) till your fingers hurt, then pull the pipe out. It’s not easy.
    Ride safe
    Andy

timmwellens

Thanks for the instructions. Putting my tank back on is proving to be a massive challenge. The bolts don’t line up with the holes in the tank. Any suggestions???

martin G10

Hi, make sure the orange bobbin on the front of the tank lines up with the front frame mount so you you can push it forwards into the mount, hope that helps
    martin

timmwellens

Thanks Martin. I’ve tried that several times and it seems to slide on. The tank is coming up 5mm short of lining up with the bolt mounts. I was hoping someone might know a common issue with something that sits under the tank that I can’t see.

martin G10

Hi, can you see the bobbin going into the mount ? the only things that could change position under the tank during removal and refit are the cable and hose for the pump , if they are the correct side of the frame tube ! try rocking the tank side to side a little to get that last 5mm of the bobbin going into the mount.
    martin

timmwellens

I think you hit the nail on the head with the fuel pipe. Which side should it be, on the battery side or between the tube and the frame bracket??

martin G10

Hi, pipe fits in front of the frame tube , so between the frame tube and plastic gear tray (for electrics). left side of frame , the main loom is fastened to left side of frame
    martin

timmwellens

Thanks Martin. The fuel pipe on the left of the battery, not the right. That was the issue. Good to have someone that knows.

Martin

Hi, new to ccm (and bikes), bought scrambler last week, only 1000 miles on 68 plate. On first ride it spluttered briefly at 65mph, but was then OK. Took out for a longer ride on Saturday, after a fine, no problems ride of about 20 miles I put some petrol in, 3 miles later it spluttered and stopped, restarted it and went 100 yards before cutting out again and then was turning over but wouldn’t fire up. Took it to friends, spark plug bone dry, we’ve sussed it’s a fuel issue, either blockage or fuel pump. There’s no electronic noise at all from the fuel pump when ignition is turned on, so this makes us think it’s the problem…….anyone had this issue? Bikes obviously sat around a lot over 4 yrs with so little mileage, whether this contributed to the issue i don’t know.
    Many thanks in advance of any help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.