Now to start making a few tweaks!

Great British Handcrafted Motorcycles Forums Spitfire – Six Now to start making a few tweaks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David 252

Although specifying your own build, there are still a few changes that I have to do…things that CCM aren’t allowed to do, like get a different reg number & plate – change the indicators.
    So today, I have ordered a new “old school” yellow plate with 6 characters on it after buying it from the DVLA website. A CCM plate – on a X reg, it’ll reduce the rear end impact quite a bit.
    Has anyone started changing things – if so what & why?
    David.

KE12

I’ve been looking into developing a carbon fibre mudguard for the rear. Last time I took the bike out I had a good decoration of mud all up my back and under the saddle.

David 252

I’ve been thinking the same, I thought along the rolled ally option, 19” wheels is old school so there should be parts ready to adapt. If you need partner to share costs – let me know. I went with the longer carbon guards, I’m also not keen on the strip of cack dirty roads leave, and I want to ride in any weather & not just dry road days.

KE12

It’s interesting to hear the longer guards are ineffective. My plan at the moment is to develop a strip of Carbon that bridges the gap between the rear plate holder and the hugger just by the battery. What I want to do is keep the cut out pattern of the original guards, to keep with the bikes current style but I’m not sure how effective it will be with the cutouts, so I’m planning a fibreglass one first.

I’ll probably not get around to this for a while, I have other more important projects first, but I’ll let you know how it goes when I get around to it.

If in the meantime you do something with alloy guards let me know, I could be swayed down that path if it looks the job.

jckman8

I saw a ccm ft6 with a ‘2 into 1 exhaust’, looked pretty cool and sounded good too. the stock pipes do look a bit wide.
    is he on this forum i wonder ?

JM

Is this what you want ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jckman8

how about this for a tweak, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284333670486?hash=item42339b8056:g:-2MAAOSwNf5gyBGR

slim and pretty slick!

KE12

Just made a new, cheap(ish) and easy change that may be worth thinking about. I’ve started to notice a few nuts and bolts after this riding season that have started to corrode. Most notably the steel screws that hold the handlebars on are only galvanised steel, and are starting to look a little naff. The installed bolts are really tough though (12-9) so I couldn’t one in one out with S/Steel so I’ve had to dig deep into my pockets for the pennys and replaced them with some titanium bolts. I’ve also noticed a few screws down by the chain are also looking shabby, so they have now been replaced with stainless steel.

I know it’s nothing fancy, but I really hate seeing corrosion, even if it’s barely noticeable.

For anyone thinking the same, the bolts are 30mm under the head, Thread 8mm.

David 252

12.9 grade screws are the toughest available, but they cannot be plated like lesser grades (hydrogen embrittlement). Titanium isn’t as strong as steel – nearly but not as strong – it is much stronger than aluminium. I would not change 12.9 graded bolts with anything else that’s not 12.9, you can get expensive coatings (not plating) like Geomet – very corrosion resistant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.