My 644DS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    paravil

Just can´t imagine why there aren´t any 644DS owners active on the forum. I´ve owned mine since 2003. It´s been through a great many overhauls and I can´t imagine ever having to give up on it.I`ve also got a Flat Tracker (just for when I´m tinkering on the 644). The Spitfire is on my wish list, but I´m within the EU and would never be able to get it registered. Spares for my 644 aren´t a great problem and I expect it might well last longer´n me (I´ll be 85 this year).

Yes not sure why….I guess many of them bought second hand so no direct relation with the brand

Ive Had a yellow 644 DS since new in 2003 used for green lanes and super Moto on the road, been parked up for a couple of years, getting it back on the road this year, just need to sort the flooding carbs and service the front suspension

Haines MC now supply spares for all models pre-2014 – enjoy riding it again this summer

Mond56R

I’ve got a 644DS too. Only had it about four years, but I’ve still got it.

Our workshop manager has one too… great bike

Yeah, it’s a pity that the forum is quiet as regards the 644DS, but I suppose they are getting on for 20 years old now! There used to be a great 604 and 644 forum but sadly it shut down some years ago.

Anyway, mine is another bought new in 2003. I was looking for a bike for green laning and after reading a ride report in a magazine I had to have one, in yellow. Did some green laning but found it a bit heavy in the nadgery stuff (due partly to my lack of skill) and so bought another bike and kept the CCM for road use with the super-moto wheels fitted. My bike is bog-standard, very low mileage and pretty much mint and not ridden when salt on the roads.

Low mileage due to lack of time and having other bikes. Not used for a few years as wouldn’t run properly due probably to gummed up carbs. but looking to getting it sorted soon.

Photo

Caddonpog

I bought my bike initially to ride rally style events such as the Kielder AS500. I chose the bike as it is relatively light at around 140Kg, but still weighs enough to enter the Kielder 500. I liked the bikes when they were introduced around 20 years ago but didn’t have the funds to buy one. My bike was advertised locally and had been a ‘lock-down’ project for the owner. He had changed headstock, wheel and swingarm bearings, redone the wiring loom and refurbished the carbs. All in all a brilliant job, so I thought I would have trouble free riding for the forseeable future. However it hasn’t been like that and I now believe the saying that when you buy a CCM 644DS you either become a mechanic or sell the bike. I’ve had rough running, then ‘no running’ problems due to the starter motor and separately, a soldered wire between the CDI and the HT coil. The previous owner told me never to leave the fuel tap on when the bike is left for any length of time and I have stuck to this fairly well. However I was taking part in the Durham Dales Long Distance Trial in early June and the bike started running rough. I assumed that it was running out of petrol and turned the petrol tap to reserve. This didn’t help but when I turned the fuel off it started to run okay again. I limped back to the event finish turning the fuel tap on and off to avoid the carbs flooding and when I pulled the carbs apart found dirt in the float bowls. I had been filling the bike from an old jerry can and the bike didn’t have a fuel filter! I’m still not happy with the carbs and if anyone can suggest a foolproof way of setting the fuel level in the float bowls I will be happy again. I enjoy riding the bike (when it is running well) and need to fix the carbs so that I can ride the next Durham Dales Long Distance Trial. Looks like I’m learning to be a mechanic!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.