Low Fuel Warning at half a tank?… and E5 Fuel?

Great British Handcrafted Motorcycles Forums Spitfire – Six Low Fuel Warning at half a tank?… and E5 Fuel?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John W

Hello, I received my Six almost 4 weeks ago now and when I manage to get out on it I’m loving it.
    Question re: Low fuel indication, mine comes on around half a tank, I managed to squeeze 7lts in after light comes on solid, anyone know what the limit is meant to be?
    Also, E5 fuel is this ok for this engine or is pure petrol recommended? what do you reckon?
    Thanks John

David 252

Hi John,
    You have around 14 litres for the tank – 3 gallons. I’ve been monitoring my consumption and it’s between 60 to 70 mpg – or about 100/120 per 7 or 7.5 litres (depending on how “nice” I’m being).
    Things may (will) change once the first service gets done, tick over reduced & time to explore the rest of the rev range.

John W

Hi David,

Thanks. I’ve done about another 50miles since I filled it so I guess I should have at least another 100 miles before I need to again.
    I’ll have to keep a closer eye on consumption, see if its similar.

Cheers John

martin G10

Hi John w
    I haven’t looked at mine, only has 40miles on it, I do know that the dash has three selections for the fuel sender ohm resistance , so worth checking .(asking John drogan)
    Regards martin

Morning. Realistically once you’ve done about 100 miles you should be looking for a fuel station. 7 Litres used leaves about a 5 left to get you home so its a reasonable time to illuminate. Factor in the volume of pump and baffle and the tank capacity is around 12 litres.

John W

Thanks Martin, Thanks John.

John Drogan, picking up on Martins reply, is there any info available regarding options on using the Display?

Thanks John

Hi John
    What is it you would like to know?

John W

Hi John,

Are there any options or changeable settings on the unit eg Is there a trip counter setting?
    Martin suggests there are 3 different settings for the Fuel sender ohm resistance?

Cheers

the two buttons beneath the dash will scroll through the functions of the dash….. the left button when held down will reset any counters.
    There are two trip meters, it will records max revs, max speed, avg speed, max temp etc….
    There is no user option to adjust the fuel sender output

John W

Thanks John good to know, I’ll check them out… I must admit I hadn’t realized they were buttons… too busy riding it.

David 252

Tip: right button scrolls through menus & the left resets trips. If you’re being good – 100 miles plus for the fuel light, it is located at the back of the tank, so slowing down triggers it, but is will only stay on after you’ve done half the tank.
    The next task is to find out what happens when you’re not being good!

John W

Hi David,

I’ve been keeping a closer eye on consumption.
    I filled up 2 days ago and was on 217 miles, light flickered today at 315, solid at 317 – so as you say 100 miles and I squeezed 7lts in, 65 mpg… very similar indeed.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.