Key fob/RFID reciever Motogadget mlock

Great British Handcrafted Motorcycles Forums Spitfire – Bobber Key fob/RFID reciever Motogadget mlock

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Ritchie

Hello all,

I just thought I would share my recent experience with my Bobber.

bike is 3 years old. Unfortunatly due to covid and too many health issues it has not seen a lot of use (1500 miles) and had sat in my living room since August 22. The battery was maintained with the correct lithium charger.

I went to take it for the first MOT last week and the bike would not turn on with the fob. I tried the red master fob and this also had no affect.

Checked the battery and was fine (13.2V)

Didnt have a great deal of luck getting a hold of anyone at CCM to obtain advice or a wiring diagram. left messages on two consecutive days.

Being technically capable I decided to investigate. I was able to obtain a wiring diagram for the mlock unit that is used by CCM for the keyless ingition. This is made by motogadget and their web site has all the details.

With the seat and tank removed I was able to figure out the wiring system and was able to eliminate fuses and power issues and establish the the key fob reciever was dead.

A very nice chap from CCM did eventually call me but advised that they dont have a wiring diagram availible. He said they have the RFID reciever kits availible and would be around £200 suppply only (more if mobile tech comes and fits)

At this point I had already explored replacment options. It would appear that motogadget have discontinued the RFID mlock kit – as I could not find any in stock with the approved suppliers. What I did find however is that they have replaced the RFID sensor with a NFC device. The decive functions the same but the technology is different.

Unfortunatly the new version of the reciever looks to have a different mounting interface although the actual reciever appears to match in size. I will post some pictures once recieved and see how fitting goes.

I found the kit for around £130 and RRP seems to be £150

As a side note… once I had established how this system works it is staggeringly easy to bypass it, certainly on the bobber with reciever under the seat. Although I suppose if you compare it to some scrote hammering a screwdriver into the ignition barrel it still has its merits :O)

hopefully this assists anyone who has key fob failure in the future.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Doug Ritchie.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Doug Ritchie. Reason: typo
    JM

Hi All
    Just had experience same problem was going to get mot today, check everything work ok except m-lock from motogadget, got quoted £265 + postage from CCm, Moto gadget only charge about £120ish, it so easy to bypass switch which is why I have a alarm fitted , new one should work as only a few wire and you can then use your phone to switch bike on and off, but it still easy to bypass
    j

JM

Just check wiring diagram and the newer mo.lock is a straight swap/fit same connection and just as easy to bypass, you only need to change the reciver/reader don’t need to put relay fuse etc as they are all ready wire in, I have just sent motogadget a email to see if I can only buy reciver
    J

Rich

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I’m looking to use my maverick for some longer trips, and the keyless system makes me nervous. I’d like to understand how to bypass it and if I should carry a spare mlock system??

Thanks

Doug Ritchie

My advice would be to explore the bike before you set off. Understand how you will replace the spare system you plan to carry. I don’t think anyone here is going to openly post how to bypass security.
    You could if you really wanted replace the rfid system with a keyed switch. You would have to locate somewhere to mount this but, potentially, would be more reliable if you are going travelling.

John Young

Hi Doug, How have you got on with the mlock, your post was very useful as I have just had same scenario, was it easy to fit, do you have any pics, instructions or tips for fitting to my Scrambler 68 plate? TIA

Doug Ritchie

Hi John,
    I’m not familiar to where CCM have fitted the RFID receiver on the scrambler. However the electrics for the receiver are very simple. Most of what I did was fault finding in the absence of a wiring diagram or manual.
    If you get the same replacement unit I ended up with you will see it has connection for 2 wires. If you locate the existing receiver you will see it has 2 wires. It’s just a case of making a tidy and waterproof joint.
    The biggest issue I suspect you will face is the different mounting points of the replacement unit.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John Young

Thanks Doug

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.