Gearbox woes

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    KE12

Hey, I’m looking for people’s experience with their gearbox.

I have a six, and I’m just under 1,000 miles on the clock. (Just over 900 miles) There is no other way to put it but the gearbox makes riding the bike a chore.

The bike gets stuck in gears, with 3rd gear being the worst gear by far. The amount of times I’ve had to pull off in 3rd gear I’ve lost track of. When it’s working, it’s lovely and smooth, but more often then not, it doesn’t work. It’s gotten stuck in 2nd gear, and 4th gear before too, which ain’t fun when you have a hill stop.

I wouldn’t mind if this was a once every dozen miles or so, but today I had 30 plus miles stuck in gear 3 or above. Nothing would fix the issue. (Also other riders were laughing at the bike because of it. Not going to lie, not a good look for CCM.)

I would have hoped it would be worn in by now, but maybe this is normal? What are your experiences? I’m curious because I’m tempted to ask for a warranty repair/replacement on the gear box if it’s still doing it at 1k miles.

Also I’ve noticed a glitch. I was scrolling through my settings / clock with the engine off and something caused the engine to turn over when I was pressing the display buttons. I did not touch the fire button. Because it was stuck in gear I nearly dropped the bike. I was not a happy bunny. So anyone else experience this?

Dixie

My Bobber was fine but my Foggy (only done 300 miles) gearbox is agricultural compared until I realised it was delivered to me with a dragging clutch. After adjusting it is better but I know after the first service it should be OK. ( I was told they have thicker oil in pre run-in )I presume yours has had its first service and wonder if you mentioned it then? Either way your experience is nothing like my bikes and sounds very wrong. Definitely call CCM because it’s spoiling your experience on these beautiful machines. Never had it start up from the dash settings!!! I presumed the fire and kill switches were independent from the dash electronics but CCM can confirm this..

KE12

Yeah it has had its first service. I mentioned it and had a comment put on my file.

I’ts also good to know your other bikes aren’t as bad as mine, just confirms to me its more likely something is wrong as opposed to breaking in issues.

As for the start up. That is what I would have thought too, but without wiring diagram I can only speculate. Cheers for the response though.

martin G10

Hi, my six was delivered with a dragging clutch due to air in the hydrolics ! Corrected by a visit from mobile mech Stewart ! Services at 500 now on 620 and feels improved, has a silky smooth gear change , still have problems selecting neutral, I’v put that down to too much flex in the CNC shifter when overcoming the gear selector drum retainer ball and spring, causing the drum to over shoot
    regards martin

martin G10

Ps. If the gear selector does not return to a central position you will not be able select the next gear in the same direction ( going up or down ) gear sequence
    martin

KE12

Hi Martin. Thanks for replying. For selecting neutral my trick is keep the bike I’m motion before going to neutral.

There shouldn’t be any air in the hydraulics. I’ve had a few life time bikers ride my bike and a few engineers have felt it. (None think its right) and a service at just under 800 miles did the full shabang.

Funnily enough in the last day or two I’ve put 300 miles on it. Yesterday it reared its ugly head, but the 100 miles I did today it was silky smooth. Its odd as it seems to have moods depending on when I start the bike.

Thanks For your response though. I’m going to ‘thrash’ it some more with the good weather and report back in.

martin G10

Hi,look up Abergavenny,how far away are you !

KE12

At the moment and the foreseeable future the other side of the country I’m afraid.

martin G10

Hi, KE12
    That’s a shame if we could find a mid point , I’d bring my six so you’d have something to compare .
    regards martn

KE12

Thanks for the offer. When I get time off I may have to take you up on it. Hopefully by then it may have sorted itself out.

martin G10

Hi, I’d say your your bike has an issue with the gear selection mechanism that needs correcting , your bike is new so it’s a manufacturing fault ! On a high mileage bike , if your gear lever moves up , down freely and returns to a central position it’s fine , the part I’d look is number 7 on this drawing , the small sprig loaded cams 8,9,10 are responsible for moving the selector drum , have CCM take a look
    regards martin

Karl
    I’ve emailed you about this.
    Regards
    John

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.